Over the years the YDHR has purchased a variety of rolling stock. We are continuously refurbishing and maintaining our equipment in order to keep everything in top form and looking good.
In our rail yard you will see coaches, locomotives, a caboose, boxcars, a ballast regulator, a rules car, and maybe even a kiddie train.
We have a couple of locomotives, #3612 being YDHR’s “workhorse”. This locomotive is used to pull the heavier loads.
Built in September 1956 in Schenectady, New York for the Duluth, Winnipeg and Pacific Railway (DWP), a US subsidiary of the CNR, she is an RS11, 1800 HP road switcher, one of an order of 15 units, and was given the road number DWP 3612. Over her lifetime she has worked for a number of US railroads including the Central Vermont (CV), Lamoille Valley (LV), and the New Hampshire and Vermont.
In February 1995 she was retired and sent to Canada where she ended up at the Petromont Plant in Montreal East. Just a year later, in August 1996, she was purchased by the YDHR where she has been given a second life hauling passengers on our Uxbridge – Stouffville run.
We have six coaches (passenger cars), known as “Boise BUDDS”. They were originally built by the Budd Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as self-propelled rail diesel cars (RDC’s). In the early 1980’s they were converted to passenger coaches by removing the diesel motors. This was done by Morrison-Knudsen in Boise, Idaho, hence the name, Boise Budd.
With all of these cars in service, we have the capacity to carry 476 passengers.
Cars 101 & 106
These two cars have tables and chairs and can each seat up to 72 passengers. Each table grouping seats four people. If you take part in one of our unique lunch dining experiences it will take place in one on these Budd coaches.
Cars 102 & 104
These cars have upholstered bench seating with tables with each table grouping accommodating four people. Both cars can seat up to 84 and 88 passengers respectively
Cars 103 & 105
Both of these two cars have upholstered bench seating without tables. Seat groupings accommodate 4 people. Car 103 seats up to 80 passengers, and Car 105 up to 88 passengers
In 1954 the Ontario Northland Railway (ONR) 1408 was originally built for the Canadian National Railways as CNR 5613 by the Canadian Car & Foundry Company. It went through a few iterations: first rebuilt as a coach-bar lounge, then a café- bar lounge. It was renumbered to CNR 3028, and then to CNR 2514 and finally acquired by VIA Rail as VIA 2514. The ONR acquired the coach in 1990 and it was rebuilt as a Snack Bar coach and renumbered as ONR 1408.
The Baggage Car (9636) was built in 1957 for the Canadian National Railways by the National Steel Company in Hamilton. It was initially numbered CNR 9255, later being renumbered to CN 9636, the number it wore in VIA Rail service and the number it retains today as YDHR 9636. This baggage car was the prototype car used by Rapido Trains Inc., Markham, to manufacture N and HO gauge models of this car for the model train market.
The Kiddie train was built for the Canadian Pacific Railway as a promotional tool. It was bought by the YDHR in 2016 from the SOO Line Railway, Minneapolis, Minnesota, a CPR subsidiary.
Want more details on the history of our rolling stock? Visit out Detailed History.
The caboose came from Canadian Pacific and was built in their Angus (Montreal) shops in 1956. It was one of their first all-steel vehicles of this type. The interior is surprisingly small, as most of the space is used for storage cupboards. All of the spare parts needed to repair freight cars had to fit in these cupboards. The remaining space was used for sleeping (there are three bunks, one folds into the wall, the others convert into seats) and an office/kitchen area.
The caboose is not currently being used.